Get the latest information on COVID-19 for myeloma patients from Dr. Durie's blogs and from the IMF's various resources. The IMF is here for you.
Know your COVID-19 Community Level, read up on the IMF's latest recommendations and answers to FAQs on COVID-19 vaccines, boosters, anti-viral treatments, and more.
Read up on the IMF's latest recommendations and answers to FAQs on COVID-19 vaccines, boosters, anti-viral treatments and other relevant COVID-19 related information for patients who have multiple myeloma (MM), smoldering multiple myeloma (SMM), or monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS).
Use the COVID-19 Community Levels Tool* to utilize the latest data and help your community decide on the best prevention steps to take. Levels can be low, medium, or high and are based on the following:
- Number of hospital beds being used
- Hospital admissions
- Total number of new COVID-19 cases in an area
(*Maps, charts, and data are provided by the CDC, with updates every Thursday by 8 pm ET)
With the emergence and spread of the BA.2.75, BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants, IMF Chairman of the Board and Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Brian G.M. Durie provides a wealth of helpful information to raise further awareness about these new subvariants as well as a must-do list for myeloma patients in this new era of COVID-19. He remains hopeful that new advances both in COVID-19 and myeloma will yield the best prevention strategies and that possibly, a cure for myeloma will no longer be elusive in the near future.
published July 21, 2022
IMF Chairman of the Board and Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Brian G.M. Durie talks about how hopes and challenges for the future of myeloma research are coming into focus. He continues to advise practicing due diligence and safety precautions against COVID-19, as BA.2.75, BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants become concerning. Dr. Durie remains optimistic, as new immune therapies in addition to other novel agents offer great hope when it comes to improving outcomes and potentially, even achieving a cure for some patients.
published July 14, 2022
IMF Chairman of the Board and Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Brian G.M. Durie discusses the importance of relaxing and de-stressing over the summer months, but also highlights essentials to keep in mind while safely planning for summer activities. Vaccination, mask-wearing, COVID-19 testing, anti-viral treatment prescriptions, and prudent travel planning are necessities for myeloma patients to ensure their safety.
published June 23, 2022
This week, IMF Chairman of the Board Dr. Brian G.M.Durie writes about several significant items in the news that are of IMPORTANCE to the myeloma community: Professors Jesús San Miguel, MD, PhD receives a prestigious research award; top line highlights from the ASCO & EHA Annual Meetings; a study on circulating DNA (ctDNA) from a Black Swan Research Initative® (BSRI)-supported group in Australia was featured in ASCO Daily News; a top line abstract from Dr. Carlos Fernandez de Larrea et al has been selected for the annual EHA presidential symposium; and a brief update on the status of COVID-19—the newest Omicron variants from South Africa (BA.4 and BA.5) are starting to surge in the U.S.
published June 2, 2022
#ASKDRDURIE COVID-19 FAQs
As the COVID-19 respiratory virus spreads across the country and around the world, myeloma patient safety is a paramount concern of patients, families and caregivers.
Watch Dr. Durie's COVID-19 FAQ video series to learn more how COVID-19 has affected the myeloma community.
We wanted to take some time and keep you up to date on the Federal Government’s response regarding COVID-19. We have received a lot of questions from patients and their families about what is included in the government has done to address the virus.
COVID-19 External Resources:
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control
- FDA Grants Emergency Use Authorization for COVID-19 Drug
- Cancer Emergency Fund
- FDA: A Message to Patients With Cancer and Health Care Providers About COVID-19
- FDA Issues Guidance for Conducting Clinical Trials
- US Government Response
- Global Dashboard of confirmed cases
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Watch Out for Medicare Fraud (Possible COVID-19 scams)
- VA and Coronavirus
- The American Red Cross: Steps to Help Cope with the Evolving Coronavirus Situation
- Considerations of COVID-19–Specific Myeloma Guidelines in New York City
- Multiple Myeloma Medicare Access
- PSA Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic
- How I Am Managing My Patients With Myeloma During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- LLS COVID-19 Patient Financial Aid Program - currently closed
- Healthwell Foundation COVID-19 Ancillary Costs Support - currently closed
- Learn how the BMS Foundation is extending additional support "to help eligible unemployed patients in the U.S. who have lost their health insurance due to the COVID-19 pandemic through the first six months of 2021."
- COVID-19 Emergency Food Assistance Program by Team Rubicon and Bristol Myers Squibb
- GSK COVID-19 statement of support Patient Groups
- GSK Compassionate Use (Expanded Access) statement for Patient Groups
- Takeda Oncology Expands Patient Assistance in the U.S. During COVID-19 Crisis
- Takeda Oncology 1 Point portal
- Bristol Myers Squibb COVID-19 patient support
- Global Plasma Leaders Collaborate to Accelerate Development of Potential COVID-19 Hyperimmune Therapy
- Sanofi and GSK to join forces in unprecedented vaccine collaboration to fight COVID-19
- Johnson & Johnson Announces a Lead Vaccine Candidate for COVID-19
The International Myeloma Foundation medical and editorial content team
Comprised of leading medical researchers, hematologists, oncologists, oncology-certified nurses, medical editors, and medical journalists, our team has extensive knowledge of the multiple myeloma treatment and care landscape. Additionally, Dr. Brian G.M. Durie reviews and approves all medical content on this website.